Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Some Traveling Tiles



Getting ready to start a new adventure: The Adventure of the Traveling Tiles. It's going to be fun!
So far, I've swapped three tiles,  and I've gotten two fun mail packages, from Pam Signorelli and Michele Wynne. 






From Pam. Look at the black! and the white one with the square string has little birds touching beaks in the corners. That one reminded me right away of Mayan or Russian folk art, and I tried to follow thru with that theme. Not sure how well I did, though I found some pretty cool Mayan designs


at any rate, this is what I made of them:


She started me with garlic in a corner and I added hollibaugh, pokeleaf, and tipples. Finding the way to shade it was fun. I ended up using white charcoal pencil, but leaving the "shaded" areas on hollibaugh and pokeleaf...I think it worked!






This one was lots of fun. It was like drawing my own coloring page and then coloring it in! I added opus in the alternating corners, and then in the center I tried to follow a Mayan pattern I found. I may deconstruct that a bit, because it could be way cool. Anyway, I was looking at a Mayan design when I started it....



Then some Hi-C corners. To color it, I was going with primaries, but then wanted purple in the border.
You can see two pretty gnarly smudges, where I bled on my art hahaha after biting a hangnail right before picking up my pen to start. Argh!


And, Michele Wynne sent me two starts to work with:


 This one to the left has the most interesting texture, and an absolutely luscious color palette. Yum! Starting with a corner full of tripoli...mmm, mmm, good!



I added D-vine, ribbonz, and flord.
With a little bit of tipple, and some flower petal looking things.
And used my gray tombow for shading here and there. 
Which I haven't done that often.






This one has THE most amazing detail, with a delightful shading around the sand swirl, making it all turquoise-y.
Another terrific color palette.

to keep true to Michele's work, I used green and blue micron pen, and highlighted a lot with white charcoal, and used some sand swirl around my Niuroda and printemps. I would LOVE to know how Michele got her shading so smooth in her sand swirls.  I burnished like mad with the burnishing pencil by Prismacolor. A mooka up there in the left was fun. One of the things I enjoyed the most in this was working around the little spots of pure white. I left them untouched in my sandswirls, but in the mooka I went ahead and tangled through it...maybe a bit like a beam of light? Some onomato. Oh...nearly forgot, I made a row of shnek on top of Michele's row of perfs, and tried to do gemstones in the shneck rounds.

And with that, now on to Joey's challenge for this week.

She started us with a corner of one of my VERY favorite grid tangles...buttercup.


  and this is what I made of it:

Shakin the Blossoms Down




I am making some Autumn themed pieces for my cubicle at work, and this is one of them. Buttercup on a yellow tile? Ooh, la, la! Hmm, I must be in a mooka mood these days. But it was so much fun doing this one, too.

The zen seems to be back, and I'm feeling inspired and energetic. I made a bunch of tiles from a piece of tiepolo paper I bought from DaVinci art supply online, and am enjoying very much stringing them and tangling.




Three I have finished for  3x3 ensemble piece.

And eager to do some more.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely tiles on lovely colors, all beautiful results, it is nice to work with only black and white but to experiment a bit with colors can be very pleasant too. Your Joey's tile is so cheerful,love it.
    On the three last tiles, I can see very nice compositions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous work Heidi! I love how you finished my starts (and the others). I use the Prismacolor colorless marker blender to blend the Prismacolor pencils. You have to be careful about smearing the micron but that can also be a neat shading effect too. Thanks so much for swapping. I'll have yours finished this weekend:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually came here to comment on your Joey piece:-P I love the vibrant color and your falling Tipple is very clever. I may have to lift that;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been busy! Travelling tangles is fun isn't it? I've been admiring some of your work this week.
    Your Joey piece is so happy and colouful, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were busy - yes! Love your yellow buttercup tiles and the travelling ones are amazing.

    ReplyDelete