Thursday, July 20, 2017

Black & White Week

well well, I'm getting a blog post done midweek, not on Saturday ha!

I've settled in to some steady tangle time, after work, after dinner, using that time to sit and tangle.

This week, I managed to do three challenges, and they all managed to be "classic zentangle" with a tile (drawn into my sketchbook), a string, and patterns all in black ink on white paper, with shading!

And here they are

The Diva Challenge:

Jessica Davies, who gave us the wonderful heart challenge last week, has gone one step further to a REAL CHALLENGE...using Peaknuckle! ack!


But I found out how EXTREMELY cool that tangle is, when I played with it. I love that you put S's down in columns, and when you're finished, there's nary a trace of S's, just lovely curvy cascades.








This is the string I created, and here is the tile:


Peaknuckle is in the upper right and lower left, with Indyrella, Flux, Niuroda, Florz, and Diva Dance. Once I put the shading in...wow!

the Joey challenge has a guest blogger, too: Susie (whose style I absolutely adore)

She gave us a start, with a very unique string, and some Asian Fan in there.

This is what I did for that challenge:

I had a hard time knowing what to do, so after I got the string and Asian Fan start, I put it aside for a day, then came back to it. I put a dangling Domizil in there, then *tried* to make something graphic and bold (that's those leafy looking things to the right of the Asian Fans)...but though they don't look anything like the pattern I was trying for, they are still kinda cute and quirky. I might develop those later.

Aloha by Suzanne Fluhr is that large shiny leaf looking thing, and then some Sevaw in the background, and some bubbly tipple down there on the right.

One last challenge, just to myself...I got the idea from Susie, who is going through the refreshers on Tangle Patterns. So this one is Refresher 157 with  Molygon, ZooLoo, Tattle, and Wocar. Natti is part of that refresher, but I couldn't get it to fit at all.



   ZooLoo is the one on the bottom left, with a larger individual motif in the center....FUN! and I like the way it turns out. Wocar is the upper left and I don't fancy it much. Tattle was fun, too. Getting back into the pile of tangles is a good thing, man. 

I did do one colored tile, using that delightful string from last week's Joey Challenge:

This dark blood red...wow. it needed something dramatic and I think all that onomato on a swirl just works. :) 

and now for two baby pictures

I'm not so sure about you

How did you get SO cynical, so young!

Isn't he just something? In both of these pictures, he looks exactly like his dad. hahahaha! and it was his dad who had him in the carrier. This was at the family reunion. His name tag says Orion, Heidi's Grandson.

Fun times!

18 comments:

  1. Your curved Peanuckle's are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Anne. I really did have fun with it

      Delete
  2. Your work is splendid. I like how textured your Peanuckle looks. I am very impressed by your command of so many tangle names. I'm hopeless at remembering most of them. Do you keep cards or have some other way to be able to easily flip through and find what you want to use? I admit I'm feeling a little bit flattered that you used Aloha---one of mine. :) I really like the colored tile. What medium did you use to prepare the tile. I think it looks like you prepared the tile before you tangled it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you caught me...usually I go to tanglepatterns.com to find names hahaha, though I do have a little collection of ATC's with patterns and stepouts. As for your Aloha, it is one of my favorites. I loved it the moment I saw it. The colored tile is multi media heavy stock, and I used bleeding tissue to color it...which is one of my new addictions. I love doing it, and LOVE LOVE the results!

      Delete
  3. Well, I looooove your Asian Fans. Just the way I drew it and then some. I think I can see the rest of the Asian Fans band lying on your carpet, you must have been in the AF swings of things and did more than the tile could hold. Well done, Heidi, and thanks so much for picking up the tile the next day and finish it. As for refreshers: I had to laugh. I haven't done 157 yet, but see the problem that awaits me already. I have done about 80 and I know, some of them can be a headache.
    The colored rope stands in nothing behind AF. It looks impressive to say the least.
    But what tops them all is that already half grown up, curious little man with the aquamarine eyes. He steals the show. Never having had kids of my own I can't believe how fast these things grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Susie...sorry about the spelling of your name. I'll change that. I am going to continue with those refreshers. It's a great way to reacquaint myself with "old" tangles, along with using them in "old" strings.

      And yes, that little baby gets SUCH expressions on his face, like a wise old man, or some impish little elf. Little angel baby. Yum!

      Delete
  4. I love how your Peanuckle looks like it is wrapped around columns. I always enjoy seeing some vivid color, and your grandson is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jean :) I think when I stopped trying to make the "inside" of peanuckle be full of lines, I started liking it a lot. That baby really is my heart, and I'm craving him bad right now after a work week not seeing him except in pictures. I hope my daughter doesn't mind my coming and just being there ALL DAY LONG!

      Delete
  5. What you did very clearly shows the versatility of this tangle. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, Donald. It will be fun to play with it and see what all else it comes up with :)

      Delete
  6. Where to start?!? It's all so fab😍 Peanuckle has so much depth. The basic black and white is good stuff. Your Asian Fans piece is beautifully constrasty. I had to set mine aside too😉 That colored tile is a knockout. Last but not least, Orion...he' s delightful 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele. Peanuckle is a surprise...who knew I'd ever like it! Ha! Turns out, it's kinda fun. That baby though. I'mma go spend time with him today yay!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful work Heidi with a fabulous drawn Peanuckle and Asia fans but the last tile on that watercolored paper is amazing and so is your handsome little grandson Orion!
    He is growing very fast, I hope you can enjoy every minute with him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ria thanks for your compliment. The colored tile is my favorite too. So much drama! Of course I wish I could spend all my free time with that sweet boy. This afternoon for sure!

      Delete
  8. Your tiles were great and I loved them all but let's get to the important stuff! What a cute grandchild! He looks like he's going to be a heartbreaker someday, the girls are all going to love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trudi... I am head over heels with that fella. He's got such an expressive face and a sweet temperament, and now that he's smiling, it's easy to see that he's got a jolly personality

      Delete